Friday, August 8, 2008

There's no place like HOME!!!

I am recovering nicely from our Youth Conference in Wyoming. We took the youth to re-enact the Pioneer trek to Martin's Cove and across Rocky Ridge. It was an unforgettable experience that I am glad that I could do, but it was also pretty tough. I was one of the lucky ones that was able to complete the entire trip and come away with no blisters or physical marks to show for it.

My Trek Family- Liz, Garrett, Kelli, Charee, Jessica, Me, Michael, Tony, Jenny, Mitch, Dakota, and Cameron
It started on "Monday" at 12:01am when we met at the church dressed in our pioneer clothes. (I sewed my own bonnet, with the help of my neighbor!) We loaded the buses and headed to Wyoming. To our shock (and my horror!) the school buses that came were for elementary kids. When I sat down my knees touched the seat in front of me. Everyone had to squish on the benches, two per seat for the entire trip!!! Wow, we were starting the sacrifice part right at the start. Needless to say, I got little to no sleep that night. We were on the bus for more than 9 hours and every time the buses stopped to refuel we had to all get off the bus.
Once we got there we had a tour of the museums, heard some speakers and watched a video (which was hard to stay awake for!!!). Everyone was split into "families". The families were a mix of youth from each ward in the stake. I was nervous about this but in the end it was a great thing. We really got to know more people and bond as a stake. Our family hiked to our camp ground, set up camp and got some dinner.
The meals were done really well the whole time with the exception of one lunch which I'll tell about soon. We stayed up late listening to a fireside by the Stake Presidency. When it was time to fall asleep, I was out cold and didn't hear anybody else even come into the tent. I was awoken at 4:30am because another leader was up rolling her sleeping bag. URRGH! Each day went close to the same: early morning rise, hiking, lots of pioneer stories (my favorite is about James Kirkwood- age 11), late night firesides, and yummy food!!!
Jenny Blaur (Ma) and Me crossing to Rock Creek Hollow
The second day was when we got to walk through Martin's Cove. We were asked not to talk which was a great idea. Without the extra noise my mind was able to wander to more important thoughts. I'm not sure how many of them I should share in this forum but to summarize I'd say I had 4 main points: 1. If you quit, you die. This was literal for the pioneers who would freeze to death if they quit moving forward and figurative for me because I can lose the battle every time I give up on something. 2. The Lord always sends rescuers to help us get through the remainder of whatever trial we are facing. Sometime he sends angels and sometimes we become the angels to others! 3. Even though the trial the pioneers went through is different from my trials, the advice on how to get through it is the same. We all need to remain positive, never give up, and serve one another. 4. The individual matters to Heavenly Father.
The third day was when we hiked Rocky Ridge and marched on to Rock Creek Hollow. This was the capstone of my experience, this is when I truly felt the most. It's hard for me to write about this day because of the emotions it brings to me but I'll say this. When I read about how hard it was for the pioneers.....I think I get it! This was the day that I was pushed to the point where somewhere inside I said to myself, "Okay, I'm not having fun anymore. I want to go home!" This was the day that we had the one meal that I didn't like. I was lunch time and we had to eat out on the trail. Well, it's Wyoming, so of course the wind is blowing. Let's put it this way...we ate SANDwiches for lunch.
Charee, Jessica and Me standing in front of a monument at Rock Creek just before coming home (we had fun too....see, we're still able to smile!!!!)
If I hadn't got to that point I wouldn't understood the other thoughts that came to me later that night. I'd love to tell all my friends and family about my inner thoughts but they're too special to write about here. We went home the next day and before we left we got letters from home. I had really missed my children, but mostly missed Rich. I was originally going to be with me but due to some conflicts at work wasn't able to come in the end. I missed having him with me and was more then excited to see him when I got home! Pres. Fife asked an interesting question, "So What?" Our pioneer ancestors struggled and fought for their lives and religion. So what do I do with this experience now that I am home? Will I let it change the way I live my life? What does it mean to me? What would it mean to YOU??

No comments: